Sunday 31 January 2016

Connecting Essay Analysis 'Joiners' -

Connecting Essay -

Joiners:

David Hockney Photograph:

My Photograph:


Of the above photographs one is David Hockney's, the artist and accidental photographer, whilst the bottom photograph is mine which was created in an attempt to replicate the style used by Hockney referred to as 'joiners' or 'panography'.

Some practical similarities of the work are depicted through the setup used to create the final outcomes. Hockney's photographs were not taken within a studio, unlike mine, and featured varying lighting in the photographs used to  compile the montage which I replicated by adjusting the lighting during the process of taking the images. However, a technical difference between the pieces is that the medium used by Hockney was polaroid pictures physically joined together whilst I used a Canon EOS 450D DSLR camera which I then technically joined post-production.

Furthermore, the composition of the final images are similar. Hockney featured various profiles within one portrait to show movement and narrate a story which I decided to reflect by using two different perspectives of my subjects face which gave both the impression of motion and being stationary at once. Also, for Hockney's specific portrait featured above he compiled it on a black background which provides the appearance of a polaroid picture montage of polaroids. I also used a similar idea when compiling the collage of individual pictures to use a white background which links to the final outcome of Hockney's photograph seemingly depicting the mount like a polaroid picture.

Although, due to the nature of the above images Hockney's is more personal due to the setting used as the background for his photographs. Hockney's images were more personal, private and intimate whilst my outcome is more clinical, harsh and open. This is further supported by the colour backdrops used in the two photographs; my image is a plain white which varies to a pale grey due to the lighting whilst Hockney's is a pale blue with hints of sky blue giving the image a more calming, reflective atmosphere.

Additionally, I used the software Photoshop CC 2014 to compile my individual images to create the multiple perspective outcome, in opposition to the "one-eyed approach" which Hockney referred to most photography as, whilst Hockney would take the individual photographs laying them out and then photographing them a final time as the final image. Therefore, the post-photography process was significantly different in the two above images.

Finally, I chose to depict a portrait that focused on the whole figure rather than just the face unlike Hockney. This further emphasises the idea of Hockney's work as personal whilst mine is not an exact pastiche of Hockney who served as inspiration for my minor project resulting in the above final outcome.

If I was to further make my image further reflect Hockney's style then I would focus on the face in a private setting rather than a studio, possibly employing polaroids, which I would then compile onto various background colours in a more physical manner rather than technical.

1 comment:

  1. you are posting good information here, there is a good level of analysis. remember to post the camera settings and mention the type of light attachments used to achieve the outcome... I think there is some need to describe the connotations of multiple viewed imagery can this be used to provide a dynamic, disorientating more characterful image or is it simply disturbing?

    ReplyDelete