Tuesday 5 January 2016

Documentary Straight Images / Work Diary -

Documentary Photography - 
The idea for the series of photography was "My Life" which inspired me to document my family life in a series of candid photos draw from the photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson.



This image is dramatic and a pastiche of Bresson although I chose to depict the domesticity of family life and rituals or celebrations such as christmas. 


This image depicts the bonds between mother and child and the facial expressions fondly show this. The decisive moment is evident in that this exchange was extremely brief and I captured the frame at the exact point to display the narrative. 


This image depicts a nostalgia of reminiscing ones childhood and birth place. I also linked this documentary to studying my self-identity and my heritage from the majority of my family being from London. 



This photograph depicts the mourning of family who are gone. The sun rays were an artistic choice which I was able to achieve due to the positioning of my camera. Compositionally the grave and the two subjects fit into the grid technique cross-sectional intersections. The subject, to me attest, is particularly moving as they grave is home to my grandparents whom I never met and at the temporal point of production my uncle was also very ill. 



This final image does not directly depict family but instead is a monument to my family. The composition is intriguing an the use of levels brings the viewer closer to the subject of the image almost as a metaphor for bringing them closer to the details of daily life. 

Progression - 

I was extremely happy with the outcome of this particular photographic series documenting my family in birth, life and death. To improve I would have liked the opportunity to photograph other subjects such as old family polaroid photographs arranged in an interesting manner. I would also like to have photographed the pregnant member of the family to tie into the life cycle of birth, life and death. However, in relation to the final outcomes I m extremely pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment