Tuesday 12 January 2016

Landscape Straight Images / Work Diary -

Landscapes - 



This photograph is of the architecture at Greenwhich and I personally felt that the black and white, plus increasing the contrast, added to the pastiche in the style of Ansel Adams despite the different subject matter of architecture compared to natural landscapes. 


This photograph is from Greenwhich where one side of my family originate from and has thus been a common place to visit during my childhood. I felt that the black and white created a sense of nostalgia in the same way that the landscape does for me.  


The framing of this photograph is aesthetically pleasing as the centre of the image is the subject of the photograph. The trees also create a fairytale like shroud surrounding the architectural building. This connotes the magic or childhood. 


This image is of a church spire which can be seen from Greenwhich park but could not be reached. The stark difference between the tonal regions of light and dark creates, again, a fairytale idea. The battle between light and dark is a common theme of fairytale and the trees blocking the path to a tower links with such fairytale stories as Rapunzel. The image is also eerie and brooding like the work of Ansel Adams. 


This image is my least favourite of these straight images. The architecture of the building was aesthetically pleasing but I had to cut out a section that was intended to be in frame due to modern signs. The trees in this case provide a frame to the image but also obscure it somewhat.

Progression - 

To improve my landscape photographs I would, first of all, shoot in various locations to build a more in depth idea of landscapes which have shaped me and thus my photographic work. I would also work on the compositional framing of some of the images as I became over excited by employing the natural against the man made. The second image could also use more editing in Photoshop to increase the contrast in tone and make the image more dramatic like Ansel Adams who uses the negative space to add detail to the subject of his photographic landscapes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment