Friday 8 January 2016

Composite The Fourth Plinth Straight Images/ Work Diary -

The Fourth Plinth - 
I edited the below images using Photoshop CC 2014 after taking the photographs of the statues in the studio with the settings f/11, ISO 200 and shutter speed of 1/125. I also took the landscape photographs earlier in the year in fully manual.


Caution Deer Crossing:
My idea behind the use of the deer statue is that I wanted to promote the idea of combining the rural with the urban and to try to make people aware of wildlife.


I like this image as it demonstrates the blending of image manipulation. I was able to replicate one ornament and change its appearance to create both a stag and a doe which I changed the colour of using Photoshop and casted shadows using the burn tool. 


I like this final outcome as the colours work well in cohesion although, if I was to improve this work then I would have improved the shadows beneath the ornament. 

Modernity and Peace:
My idea behind the use of  Buddha was because Buddha promotes peace and in modern life it is very difficult to find peace when always busy with work, homelike etc. 


This image turned out well  in reference to scale, colour and form. I was able to cut out the shape/ contours of the ornament. Also, it connotes the differences between western and eastern cultures. 


This final image is the worst of the favourites. The shadows created using the burn tool was patchy but on a positive note the colours work well together as I employed selective colourisation and adjusted the colour to work well with the surroundings. 

Evaluation:
To evaluate, some of the images appear better than the others. The first deer image is better than the second as the quick selection tool cut the area more smoothly. I also attempted to create a shadow with the burn tool which was more effective on the first as it was all in shadow whereas the second deer image went across various backgrounds menacing the burn tool was not as effective. 

Furthermore, the set of Buddha images are reasonably acceptable. The quick selection tool worked extremely well with both creations but the burn tool, which I used to create the effect of a shadow, was not as effective due to the background landscape photograph. 

Therefore, I could improve these images in the future by learning how to create a drop shadow in photoshop and I could also experiment with histograms to achieve the same level of lighting as featured in the background images. 

Progression - 

To improve from this point I would practice my Photoshop editing skills and techniques to create a better shadow rather than using the dodge and burn tool. 

1 comment:

  1. Very good progression and analysis here Morgan... The dear image work well in an almost surreal way... Continue to think of objects that work for the 4th plinth at a conceptual level... either shooting in London or Harlow...

    ReplyDelete